Dunwoody Village is a continuing care retirement community located in Newtown Square, Pennsylvania, offering residents unparalleled comfort, award-winning, high-quality healthcare and rehabilitation, and a vibrant lifestyle. Combining a picturesque wooded setting with convenient nearby shopping and close proximity to the cultural attractions of Center City and Main Line Philadelphia, Dunwoody Village is truly the best of all worlds.
A not-for-profit organization established in 1974, Dunwoody Village answers first and foremost to our residents. We subscribe to the LeadingAge Quality First 10 Elements of Quality and we are dedicated to making our community a beautiful, relaxed, fun and healthy place to live.
We provide equal opportunity housing opportunities for residents, encouraging and supporting an affirmative advertising and marketing program in which there are no barriers to obtaining housing because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin.
We encourage you to visit Village Life at Dunwoody Village to learn more about our residences, programs, amenities and more.
Dunwoody Village and its staff have earned numerous awards over the years.
Dunwoody Village is among the top U.S. skilled nursing facilities that have been recognized as a Best Nursing Home for 2021-22 by U.S. News and World Report.
Awards & Recognition
At Dunwoody Village, we’re proud of our recognition from residents and our community, state agencies on behalf of the federal government and other esteemed organizations that honor excellence in care for older adults.
Featured Awards and Recognition include:
- Five-Star Quality Rating from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010)
- LeadingAge PA Distinguished Service Award
- Two-time winner for Caregiver of the Year (2016 & 2012)
- Facilitator of the Year (2013)
- Two-time winner for Staff Member of the Year (2013 & 2007)
- Best of the Main Line
- Seven-time winner for Best Personal Care services (2022, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2013 & 2012)
- Winner for Best Retirement Community (2022)
- Winner for Best Independent Living (2017)
- Delaware County News Network
- Winner of the 2018 Talk of the Town award for “Neighborhood Favorite Retirement Community”
- Genesis Rehabilitation
- Certificate of Commendation for Customer Service awarded to Dunwoody Village’s rehabilitation services team (2012)
In the 1800s, during an apprenticeship among Quaker families, William Hood Dunwoody learned a respect for life and an appreciation for all mankind. He carried these ideals throughout his life and later founded a home for older adults on his property. In 1974, this property became Dunwoody Village, one of the area’s first continuing care retirement communities (CCRCs).
In the early days, Dunwoody was home to just 50 residents; today, our numbers total 400, including many second-generation residents. They come here because they recognize our excellent reputation and our continued commitment to Mr. Dunwoody’s ideals of caring, respect and kindness.
The Octagonal School House
Dunwoody Village is home to an historic octagonal schoolhouse called the Hood Octagonal School. Built in 1842 by William Hood Dunwoody’s great grandfather James Hood, the schoolhouse was used well into the 19th century. In 2006, it was awarded designation on the National Register of Historic Places. Today, it serves local schoolchildren as a historic learning site.
Longtime resident Fred Kramer (1929-2015) worked diligently to get Dunwoody Village’s Hood Octagonal School listed in the National Register of Historic Places.